- 33 sure-fire ways to truly offend a Swedeon 3 juni 2023 at 12:57
Whether you want to offend a Swede or do your best not to get in their bad books, here are 33 ways to annoy them.
- Feriepenge: Denmark’s vacation pay rules explainedon 3 juni 2023 at 12:41
If you work for a company in Denmark, your yearly time off is likely to be provided for by the 'feriepenge' accrual system for paid annual leave.
- DISCOVER NORWAY: Seven unmissable events in June 2023 on 3 juni 2023 at 12:33
Music festivals, street food meetups, Pride events and culture workshops for children are among the best events happening in Norway in June.
- What happens to your Swedish work permit if you lose your job?on 3 juni 2023 at 12:23
Losing your job is never ideal, but for those in Sweden on a work permit there's another layer of worry. Can you stay in Sweden to look for work? Can you change career? Here's what happens.
- Inside Sweden: How do foreigners feel about permanent residency tests?on 3 juni 2023 at 07:26
Sweden is planning to introduce language and civics tests for permanent residency, but what do the country's foreign residents think of the move? More on this and the week's news in The Local's Inside Sweden newsletter.
- What could the Swedish language test for permanent residency look like?on 3 juni 2023 at 07:10
Sweden plans to introduce language and civics tests for permanent residency from 2027. What could the language test entail and how good would your Swedish need to be to pass?
- Everything that changes in Denmark in June 2023on 3 juni 2023 at 06:56
It's the month when everything starts to wind down in Denmark, with school out, music festivals and Sankt Hans bonfires. Here's what you need to know about June in Denmark.
- Five Norwegian rules foreign residents should try not to breakon 3 juni 2023 at 06:47
Life in Norway as a foreigner is much easier if you stick to some of the country's most ingrained rules – written or unwritten.
- LISTEN: What you need to know about Sweden's planned permanent residency testson 3 juni 2023 at 06:25
In this week's episode: Sweden & Nato, an extra special National Day, student graduation season, summer midwife shortage, and plans for permanent residency tests.
- Sweden greenlights anti-Nato protest despite Turkey warningon 3 juni 2023 at 06:15
Sunday’s Stockholm demonstration against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Sweden's planned Nato membership has been given the go-ahead despite Ankara's objections, Swedish police told AFP on Friday.
- How long do Norwegian citizenship applications take to process?on 2 juni 2023 at 13:46
Becoming a fully-fledged Norwegian citizen is an attractive proposition for many reasons. So, how long will you have to wait after checking off the criteria and submitting your documents?
- Denmark's police launch push to disband Bandidos biker gangon 2 juni 2023 at 13:25
Denmark's police have launched an investigation aimed at disbanding the Danish branch of the notorious Bandidos biker gang, which has been blamed for a string of crimes since it was established 30 years ago.
- Nine types of foreigner you might meet in Denmarkon 2 juni 2023 at 13:22
It's easy to work out why someone might want to move to a country like Spain, France or Italy. The reasons people come to Denmark tend to be much more varied. Here are some of the types of foreigner you're likely to meet.
- US Secretary of State says again Sweden will join Nato 'soon'on 2 juni 2023 at 13:14
US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken has reiterated his belief that Sweden will soon become the 32nd member of the Nato alliance in a speech in Helsinki City Hall that marked the culmination of his Nordic tour.
- How is Constitution Day celebrated in Denmark?on 2 juni 2023 at 12:35
Denmark marks its Constitution Day on June 5th, which is the closest Denmark has to a national day. Here we explain why the day is so important and how it's celebrated.
- Five great places to go on a hammock trip in Osloon 2 juni 2023 at 12:15
Make the most of the warm weather by spending the night sleeping under the stars in a hammock. Here are our top picks for a 'hengekøyetur' in Oslo.
- Swedish police launch investigation into Arlanda Express derailmenton 2 juni 2023 at 11:45
Police are treating the derailment of an Arlanda Express airport train last week as suspicious, investigating the event under the crimes "causing bodily injury" and "creating danger to another".
- Discover Sweden: Five of the best day trips from Copenhagenon 2 juni 2023 at 11:00
Whether you're in the mood for seafood, leisurely walks, history or shopping – there's plenty to experience in southern Sweden. It's easily accessible from Copenhagen and with the Swedish krona currently weak, it's cheap too.
- What does Norway need to do to meet its climate goals?on 2 juni 2023 at 10:59
If Norway is to meet its environmental targets by 2030, the population must change their habits, the Norwegian Environment Agency has outlined in a new report.
- Children to travel for free on public transport in Oslo this summeron 2 juni 2023 at 10:09
Children accompanied by an adult with a valid ticket can travel for free on Oslo’s public transport network this summer.
- Ten Swedish phrases you only hear in summeron 2 juni 2023 at 09:32
Summer always leaves foreigners baffled by Swedes' unique seasonal habits. Here's The Local's guide to navigating small talk when the sun comes out.
- TELL US: What are the secrets to winning over a Danish partner's family?on 2 juni 2023 at 09:31
Joining a Danish family as a foreigner comes with many challenges, not least the abundance of strange new traditions. We'd love to hear from readers in relationships with Danes about how they've handled it.
- What Norway’s weak krone means if you are travelling this summer on 2 juni 2023 at 09:19
Norway’s krone is down considerably to almost all major currencies. This affects how cheap or expensive your trip in or out of Norway will be this summer.
- Can Sweden's new terror law be used to stop an anti-Nato demonstration?on 2 juni 2023 at 08:35
Turkish officials are demanding that Sweden's new terror law be applied to an anti-Nato demonstration this coming weekend. What does the law cover, and can it be used to stop a protest?
- Faroe Islands restrict Russian access to its portson 2 juni 2023 at 06:52
Denmark's autonomous Faroe Islands said on Thursday that Russian access to its North Atlantic ports would be restricted to vessels dedicated exclusively to fishing, in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- What’s the difference between temporary and permanent residency in Denmark?on 1 juni 2023 at 15:06
If you are a citizen from outside the Nordic countries and you want to work, live and study in Denmark, you need a residency permit. There are two types of residency permits in Denmark, called temporary residency and permanent residency. Here we explain the difference and how to get them.
- Danish state forecaster warns of 'drought as bad as 2018'on 1 juni 2023 at 14:58
Denmark's state weather forecaster DMI is reporting an extremely high risk of drought for this summer, likening conditions to 2018, when the country was hit by "the most severe drought in modern times".
- US to open diplomatic post in north Norwayon 1 juni 2023 at 14:24
The United States will open its first diplomatic post north of the Arctic Circle in Norway as climate change raises interest in the region, Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced Thursday.
- UPDATED: Swedish woman fined 13,800 for handing in lost 500 kronor banknote lateon 1 juni 2023 at 14:10
A woman in Sweden was fined 13,800 for waiting almost two months to hand in a lost 500 kronor banknote to the police.
- SURVEY: Here's how Swedes would vote if an election were held todayon 1 juni 2023 at 14:07
Support for the Social Democrats has soared according to a new survey, as support for the government and the Sweden Democrats has dwindled. The Social Democrats, the Left Party and the Greens now have 50 percent of voter support.